#BLOGMAS DAY TWENTY - So This Thing Happened

by - December 19, 2018

A friend of my mom just wrote me a pn on Facebook saying that she thinks my new profile picture is "terrible". She adds that she generally thinks Im great, though 
There are so many question marks floating above my head I dont know where to start, really, but lets go with this: 

Why the hell would she tell me 
Firstly, she is in no position in my life to be my voice of wisdom in regards to life decisions. I got her a magazine coverage once. Secondly, a profile pic on a personal account is by no means a life altering thing such as selling drugs or running for presidency. Thirdly, it is a perfectly normal picture without explicit body parts showing or a bottle of Absolut on display. I mean, I chose it so above all that, I obviously think I look somewhat a) pretty and b) how I see myself. And fourthly, if she is so offended by ist sight, she can just not hit the like button to show me that she, in fact, does not particularly like it. That is what the like button is for. And also, I believe, inspired by the saying " if you got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". Which might not be adequate regarding political an societys issues, but was basically made for situations like these 

See, the mind is a fragile thing. While I do not especially care about that woman's opinion on portrait photography - even though it irritates me - I might care about other peoples'. I might think about the Cambridge guy seeing it and remembering me fondly. I might think about the trainer guy seeing it and eating his heart out. I might think about my certain someone seeing it and regaining feelings for me. When I feel confident. After reading something so unnecessary, I might be worried if it has the effect I thought it could have. I might ask myself if my certain someone has made a new account and not added me, or if he quietly unfriended me, and what would be worse. I might have a moment when the pain of either possibility hits me hard. I might try to make myself feel better by thinking of someone else, and then run into all the dead ends that entails. Im not saying that this was her intention, or that she even tried to shake my confidence in this picture. But every person has their rabbit holes in their mind, and something like this, a message sent without thinking, can make them trip right over and take a tumble. So again, why the hell would she tell me this - it could be so easily avoided. 

What does she think I gather from this information? An impulse to take it down? To start a conversation about "these pictures"? What, apart from stirring uncertainty about my choice, could this message possibly bring into my life? I am honestly so baffled. Am I supposed to debate with her now? To advocate my picture? To say thank you for your feedback, like I'm sampling a hair color and not my face?

Okay this might have sounded a little too mad to be festive, but seriously.

Love.

Rosy Smith

You May Also Like

0 Comments