#BLOGMAS Day Six and Seven - Pictures and Ghosts // Eight to Eleven - Hamburg my love

by - December 11, 2018

Pictures

Let me begin by telling you a little story. My grandfather passed away when I was five - obviously, that came as a huge surprise to me, having had no concept or consideration of death at that point. All I knew was that he was sick and had to sit in the garden stool while I pranced around in the garden and climbed onto his knees one summer day, and that's when he gave me a camera. A small Canon MP, a non-digital one, of course, since I'm old and in the early 2000s, we still took real photographs. I remember playing photo shoot with my dolls (before I knew how much postal work goes into the real ones). As it goes, I misplaced it in the house somewhere, my parents got a digital one and did not buy any more film and I got a camera phone. But today I found an adorable little packet of Kodak in my Christmas candy bag, and now I relish in fantasies of artsy analog shots of me and my friends that have the same fascinating air of "Being in the sun-squinting, drink-spilling, glitter-powder moment memories" to them.


Ghosts

Currently, I'm sitting on the plane (typing into my phone in astonishingly bad spelling) to Hamburg - For the first time since February! I'm doing something university related with some of the girls and we feel like we're thirteen and on a field trip again, but I'm flying out there on my own and I'm seeing ghosts. That happens to me more frequently recently. No, not dead people or anything like that (please, I can't even watch those movies). But two rows up front across from me, there's a guy who looks a lot like my certain someone. At least from behind. I've been staring at his neck intently and missing the security demonstration, desperately trying to make out some big difference. I know it's not him - I know he is not even in the country right now, much less should he be on his way to Hamburg, and despite all of my darkness he would definitely say hi to me. Oh, this is stupid, because of course I would recognize my certain someone with total certainty. I'm just freaked out by some clean cut dark hair on the back of a slender neck. This guy has a much longer nose, anyways. Maybe I can ask him to show me his profile all through the flight, so I don't have to be so freaked out. Now I'm peering at him with a disgusted expression (not because I'm actually disgusted but because I'm highly irritated and it's too early for composure) from behind the drinks wagon like a crazy, lovesick hawk.

Oh my. See you on the ground.

Hamburg, my love

I'm back! Not in my beloved apartment (I need to check again if the guy who usually lives there is planning to move. But I think he's getting scared of me randomly texting him), but in a very bohemian place in the Schanzenviertel, which is a bit like the trendy bit of Brooklyn of Hamburg, with three of my fashion college girls. We're a perfect set of roomies, cozying up in the living room around a jar of sweets and having supermarket-dinner around the sturdy dark-wood kitchen table, sitting on the creaked floor boards. We have a Bachelor's seminar during the day (sooo many numbers this time - business planning sounded more glamorous than "spreadsheets" in my head, but that was the primarily used term allover) but spent the evenings having pasta at an Italian restaurant where they played opera (always a quality criteria), having strong red and really bad white wine in our neighborhood and finally, wandering around the Christmas market next to the Alster - I'm sure this city is beautiful in summer, but I absolutely adore it all dolled up for Christmas. Take a little look....


You May Also Like

0 Comments