Applying lipstick in a car - a metaphor for life

by - September 05, 2015

For as long as I can remember, I've been doing a lot of things at once -  or at least, I tried. I wrote To-Do lists in class so I wouldn't miss a hundred assignments as well as forgetting to practice the piano while still not buying a birthday present for my friend. Trust me, all of this could happen, since even though I make notes all of the time, they're usually all over the place on pieces of paper I find 5 years later, in books I never open again, on the back of my hand where they fade away....Knowing myself, I often made these lists so that I had everything in one place. Hence my longing for a filofax (see here). I also multitask in that I try to read while doing my make-up, do my homework while participating in class, text while blow-drying, etc. I like to know I can get it aaaall done in a particular time and day, that everything is somehow going to fit in, no matter how late I am, or how much time it supposedly takes. It might mean I'm a control-freak. But it might as well simply mean I'm late a lot.

This Thursday for instance, I was getting ready to attend a musical show with my dad and was putting on blusher when he called for us to go - I hadn't had dinner yet and my mom insisted I ate some before the show. However, I refused to do so since I hadn't even come to eye shadow and we were running late already (see?), so she made me take food with me to eat in the car, which is something I've done so many times before (hence the introduction): Picture me sitting in a car, all dolled up, with my curls clipped back and getting crumbles all over my dress. Such glamour!
Having gone through with that, the critical part is on: Applying my lipstick,

Lovelies, you might remember that my choice of color is usually some kind of red. On Thursday, it was the Manhattan All In One Lipstick in 660 Bite My Lip .


So I waited until we were driving a straight line, whipped out my brush and started to outline my lips, keeping a tight grip on the brush and hoping there wouldn't be a sharp stop because then, I just might stab myself in the throat and I guess that wouldn't have looked so pretty. I discovered that when you firmly place the brush against your lips, you can just go with the flow (of driving) and somehow, your lips get filled in - it's like with one of these magic pens that draw circles by themselves. Also, you should really use the rearview mirror instead of the one in the sunshade, because if you have to look up you won't be able to keep your arm as still and are more likely to mess up. I am proud to say that I got a decent result withour looking like I put on warpaint in form of red streaks all over my face. However, I did kinda ruin my tights when my dad asked for his phone and I dropped the lipstick and it fell into the space between my hemline and my legs. But hey, good score, don't you think so?

I feel like applying lipstick in a moving vehicle should be considered a professional skill - actually, to me, it is a perfect verbalism of a the modern-day independent woman who has a lot going on but manages it all with a beaming, slightly breathless, lipstick smile.

And, you know, is late a lot.

Love,

Rosy Smith

You May Also Like

0 Comments