Today was fun in a fashion freaky way....

by - November 05, 2015

....so I guess since I'm a fashion student (even though we journalists aren't expected to dress in crazy striped socks and platform everything, having to appear serious over the whole scene) I might as well mention the whole Balmain x H&M thing and pretend I've got something insider-y to say about it. Ready, lovelies?

I actually didn't know about Balmain (Shame? Or not? You tell me) until not-so-long-ago, so I wasn't immediately excited about this collab - I've never really been about any of the H&M collabs, though, because honestly, it doesn't feel as awesome to own a designer piece with an H&M tag in it as the real deal does. I mean, it is pretty cool that they do that, so that one can benefit from the unique design quality of the respective labels without having to break the bank (or maybe just a small one)....however, I don't know, I simply cannot fully get into these affairs.

But some of my classmates (here ya go, fashion college spirit and all) sure did - they were so commited, in fact, that they spent the night camping in front of the flagship on 5th, not minding the cold and the drizzle. Some of us were in awe of their determination to be early in line, some a little weirded out (I was. I mean, come on, rain. And the clothes are a bit too flashy/military/green for me to be desirable), but it was definitely the topic we were dissecting while in first period this morning, much to the astonishment (and I think despair) of our oblivious teacher. Instagram updates followed fast - #allBalmaineverything - and the whole room was silent when one girl actually got through on the hopelessly overstrained hotline to order her wishlist. "I'd like No.....that's still available? Great!" *collective breath* "And No...."*holding it in again* "Oh, your system's crashed?" *looking at each other like, can you believe that?*

I can. It's weirdly fascinating, isn't it, how people go all out and trip over their barely tied shoe laces to get  their hands on a few pieces by a big name in a store they'd usually joke about, go in to buy a tank top and come out with six new outfits which happened to block the way to the changing rooms.

At least that's how I do it.

Anyhow, I may feel like buying high fashion should be a slightly different experience than a rock concert / The Hunger Games, but whoever's a fan of Balmain might have gotten really lucky today,, and that's always lovely, don't you think?

Love,

Rosy Smith

You May Also Like

0 Comments