That moment....

by - November 22, 2015


Love,

....when you're sitting in bed, all set to go to your loveliest friend's house in the morning when she'll be back from her two months abroad, and she texts you: Gosh, I hate surprise visits!! And now you have to stuff the clowns back into the van and explain to them why you won't pay.

Thankfully, I was wise enough not to arrange fireworks spelling out my loveliest friend's name or anything like that, or I seriously would've had to think about how the hell to get out of a contract. Since the plan has only been to casually drop by her house with some cookies and another friend, however, we decided to go for it anyway; after all, she couldn't possibly have included us in her declaration of hate towards surprises. Or could she?? Panic-struck screenshot sending while fearing to mix up her and my partner in crime in my contacts followed.

11 pm Another complication: My loveliest friend ominously wrote: "It's not you who's coming tomorrow, is it?" Her mom, third in our conspiracy trio, had told her in preparation to get dressed appropriately the next day and hereby lit her suspiciousness. More screenshots and nonchalant answers as in "well, at least you won't be in your PJs, so all bad parts of the surprise are gone, technically, aren't they?"
Notice how I try to subtly change her attitude towards surprises.

11:30 pm Have to hold myself back from accidentally texting her about how excited I am to surprise her. That would be pretty stupid.

Day x, 1 pm Sitting in my car across the street from her house. I had to park twice until I got a space that wasn't in front of an entrance. Now I'm eying the windows and the street, feeling like a private investigator. It's actually kind of fun.

1:10 pm Her mom quietly ushers us in. Feeling very conspirative indeed as we tip-toe up the stairs, following the music coming from her room....

Good things are from Paris
And there we are, and there she is, her hands on her hips as she's laughingly scolding us for being so secretive before all of us hug and get all unicorn fluffy....and then we sit down on the fuzzy carpet and have cake and tea, as you do, and have a very lovely time.

So, if you ever plan to surprise somebody....hit me up, I think I like it.

Love,

Rosy Smith


You May Also Like

0 Comments