The Sadlist

by - August 05, 2017





The Harold Song - Kesha

Found this hidden gem (hidden because I filed Kesha under fun party anthems in my head) some time ago and I love the specificness with which she describes their relationship (although Harold is some unromantic name): "I miss your white sheets / I miss the scratch of your unshaved face on my cheek". Also, the chorus just hits it perfectly: "They say that true love hurts / Well, this could almost kill me / Young love, murder / That is what this must be"

Amnesia - 5 Seconds of Summer

They formulate the everlasting question: "If what we had was real, how could you be fine?". Also, the fact that sometimes, you wish you could forget all about it, because the pain is too intense; however, I personally wouldn't want to forget anything because even though it might hurt to think about good times gone by, those memories are still too precious to bury. "I wish that I could wake up with amnesia  / And forget about the stupid little thing / Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you / And the memories I never can escape / 'Cause I'm not fine at all"

Littlest Things - Lily Allen

If you ever feel crazy for wishing you had just a little bit more time, don't. Lily got your back, and if she experiences this, it must be legit. "I know it's not right, but it seems unfair / The things are reminding me of you / Sometimes I wish we could just pretend / Even if only for one weekend / So come on, Tell me / Is this the end?"

Pity Party - Melanie Martinez

I don't care what this is supposed to be about, it's a damn good song for any situation in which you just want to get into some fancy négligé and cry your eyes out while lighting something on fire. Happens fairly regularly, these days, doesn't it? "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to / Cry if I want to (cry, cry, cry) / I'll cry until the candles burn down this place / I'll cry until my pity party's in flames / I'm laughing, I'm crying / It feels like I'm dying / It's my party and I'll cry if I want to"

Writer In The Dark - Lorde

Firstly, this one's got such a pretty melody to it, and secondly, the whole "sitting in the dark, penning a song about how I'll pour all my love for you into this very song, but because it's so artsy it's not creepy but cool" attitude is totally my thing: "Bet you rue the day you kissed a writer in the dark / Now she's gonna play and sing and lock you in her heart / Bet you rue the day you kissed a writer in the dark / I am my mother's child, I'll love you 'til my breathing stops / I'll love you 'til you call the cops on me"

Diamonds And Rust - Joan Baez

I was actually researching Bob Dylan for a trend booklet when I found out about his romance with Joan and how this song is supposed to be about him, the bohemian outcast musician who might have just screwed things up between them by being too damn bohemian outcast-ish and solemn and melancholic. Still, I think they loved each other. "Our breath comes out white clouds / Mingles and hangs in the air / Speaking strictly for me / We both could have died then and there / Now you're telling me / You're not nostalgic / Then give me another word for it / You who are so good with words
And at keeping things vague / Because I need some of that vagueness now / It's all come back too clearly / Yes I loved you dearly / And if you're offering me diamonds and rust / I've already paid"

Love,

Rosy Smith

You May Also Like

0 Comments