I've been thinking....

by - March 25, 2016

....doesn't this sentence alone sound all gloomy to you? Like I'm going to say something that's going to hurt you? Like I'm going to break up with you? Then you remember that you don't know me and therefore I couldn't do that. But the thought came to your mind, didn't it?

Well, that's not where I'm going with this. Not exactly.

It's just this: When two people come together, there seem to be a few different categories my loveliest friend summed up today:
 
Friends

Friends with benefits

Affairs

People dating

People in a relationship

Strangers

Choose one of those and you're good. Or, at least, defined. However, I feel like I understand every category mentioned, except for "people in a relationship". What exactly do those people do that makes them different from those dating? Is it the ability to confide their love for each other? Does that change so much? Can't one be in a relationship with somebody one isn't in love with?

Or is it the reassurance of knowing the person you're with isn't going to bail on you as soon as they get bored? Not having to plan every single date, not having to fear they aren't gonna want to see you, or won't like what you suggest? It's stressful, this dating thing. If you care enough, that is.

But when does that turning point arrive? Is "I love you" the pass to relaxation? Shouldn't one make an effort even when you're officially in an relationship?

Also, it's not like you'd suddenly be married and separating is not in option, as it might have been in the 1940s. People do break up.

So I'm asking again, what is the big difference?

Love,

Rosy Smith

You May Also Like

0 Comments