Stereotypical for just a second....

by - February 08, 2016

....don't start on me, but it was too sweet a sight that presented itself to me on the train the other day. Firstly, there was a man beside me, with dreads in his hair and a canvas duffel bag on his knees, reading a book on capitalism. I know it's wrong to categorize people, but why wasn't he taking a look at the latest Danielle Steel? Because you rarely see people with canvas duffel bags clutching a nice tale of betrayal, even if it's second on the Time's best seller list. It's such a shame. I get that you care about our society, and the environment, and everything. In fact, I got you at "canvas". You can stop there.

 "I'm scared to be caught photographing strangers"


Cut to two women across from me. The one on the right is prettily put together, in a fashionable blue dress with yellow flower print, a cashmere scarf 'cause she cares for quality, a light grey wool coat just right for this season and an impractical handbag. She's listening to music on her Iphone and as I let my gaze wander down, I notice that she's even taken the time to pick blue socks to match her dress. To me, that's the ultimate proof of having your life together. Everything about that woman seems to say: "I'm a grown lady, I have a good job and I'm damn great at it because I give all I have to get where I wanna go - that's why my tights don't have holes in them, too". A little intimidating, but also impressive.
As she left, she fumbled out a packet of rolling papers and impatiently put a cigarette together, then stuffed the rest back in. She didn't look too happy, but maybe she had just had a bad day. Maybe she'd tripped and fallen on her knee in front of her crush from work. Oops, now I'm doing it again, explaining all of life's troubles with men. She might as well have fallen in front of her female boss before a big presentation or something. But seriously, what would be the better story here.

The woman on the left is extremely different. To speak metaphorically, she's probably wearing socks that don't match and one of them is striped. She's still into colored jeans. She's wearing a rucksack, 'cause it's ergonomically wiser. That's also the reason for her choice of footwear, I guess; otherwise I'd have to say that she didn't find her way out of the child's section. Anyways, to compensate that impression, she's reading a book I won't name - however, it's very cynical and very "I'm a college student and the only girl in our IT class".
How did I get so mean? Just wondering.
I wish I could find some surprise element about her, but I feel like superficiality is frowned upon so much 'cause us poor superficial thinkers can't possibly tell how smart and fun and amazing someone is by judging their appearance, so all we say sounds like a roast. I'm sure she's lovely.

Last but not least, a look to my right and I spot a guy whom I identify to be Russian, as he's apparently speaking that language on the phone. He's wearing nice things. Lace up boots, which is a safe choice in a world where trainers are considered shoes by some. Random shot: He's a musician. He doesn't have typical musician hands, but they've got something about them I can't place. He's smiling to himself sometimes, then looking straight ahead again. He might be practising some really hard classical piece in his head and he's acing the best parts, so that makes him smile. Beneath his shirt, he's wearing a thin gold necklace. The Russian kid from my school used to do that, so let me jump conclusions here.

So, what do we learn from this? You shouldn't categorize people. But sometimes, you can't help but notice. It certainly passes the time.

Love,

Rosy Smith








You May Also Like

0 Comments