Don't you question this, too

by - January 29, 2017

A useful tip for everyone who's ever typed "meaningful gifts boyfriend" into the google search bar: Any idea you get from that won't be meaningful anymore 'cause you didn't think of it on your own. However, *she said as she was happily noticing the beforementioned tab had finally loaded*, I have accepted a long time ago that I am just not that person who can read their loved one's beautiful mind. Except sometimes in conversation and stuff. But I guess that's not enough of a meaningful gift, either.

Is it smelling like catfood in here? Ew. So, I might have thought of something romantic that wouldn't make me wanna puke right away - but as I'm notoriously running late I'm not sure I'll find it in time while aimlessly roaming the city. Now it's the age-old battle between accepting the fair-but-expensive-sounding amazon price and the shipping fees or hoping to find the same thing as a bargain at some weird little store. The latter could go completely wrong and I'd have to pay even more/not find it at all, but the amazon thing is time-bound and I'd have to decide quickly and I hate to do that.

Okay, so I want to get him a tiny silver box with a quote from "The Little Prince" engraved, namely "Puisque c'est ma rose" meaning "Because it's my rose", referring to the little prince saying that his own rose is different from the other roses in the world because of the special bond they share together, and put a petal of the first rose he gave me in there. Does that make you sick? I'm kinda feeling it (while you're at it, please tell me why I talked like a Kardashian just now).

Just realized in striking horror that our one-year-anniversary is coming up - I'm not that terrified by the fact that it's been so long but rather by the fear of having to make yet another present up out of thin air. Do people give each other gifts for that occasion? Does only the guy do it? Can't we just go out to dinner, please?

No way am I gonna acknowledge Valentine's Day, that much I know.

Maybe I should hold back on the romantic, useless gifts until the anniversary, though, just in case. Gotta be prepared for him doing something cute. If he doesn't, I'll just keep it around until next Christmas.

So now I was finally getting ready to get serious and order the box on amazon for whatever occasion as well as the material part, a golf ball monogram thing, when I made the fatal mistake of reading its reviews. 6 out of 10 people are pretty mad about it, it seems. So either way everyone's doing it totally wrong or it's impossible to handle. Great! Now I can't buy it anymore with a clear conscious. I mean, I wouldn't use it but I'd feel bad about knowingly getting him junk (NOT intended). Also, about the waste of my money.

Let's see, now I'm only sure that I want to get that box, but probably not for his birthday, and probably not get that golf ball thingie at all, so that leaves me with, oh, yeah, the sweet gift of nothing for now.

That went astonishingly well.

Plan C: I'll hit the city every day starting on friday until I find something. Oh dear. 

UPDATE: It's five days later and I hit the city once and realized that I will only get more confused if I spend hours running from one random store to another contemplating whether he might like Pottery Barn sheets WHO AM I KIDDING nobody wants sheets for their birthday, do they? Now I can only hope amazon's delivery time will be accurate and no one of my family will make stupid comments about why I am getting a tiny silver box because I will definitely freak out if someone dares to question my choice of gift. I'm that bad at it.


Love,

Rosy Smith

You May Also Like

0 Comments