Why I am not a designer....

by - May 25, 2016

....okay, so I have this class in college which is called something like "visual communication" and I always call it graphic design which is probably totally wrong terminology because I'm obviously an ignorant who doesn't really care. And that's basically the essence of this. But I'll be more specific on here 'cause yesterday, when a discussion with my teacher took place, I didn't have the energy to do so (and I'm too scared that I might cry out of frustration)....

I really like Monotype Corsiva and you can't stop me. That's actually the main reason for this excursion into the sad world of fonts and photoshop. I have chosen it for writing my name in this project - see, I wanted something "handwritten" and playful and I have spent eternity scrolling through dafont.com and I absolutely hated everything on there (okay, I might not hate it all, but nothing was quite right) and when I came back to good ol' monotype, the font I've used to write my first novel in (don't ask), it just fit. I am perfectly aware of the fact it's neither "modern" nor "cool", but what the hell does a "cool" font look like and who decides that, anyway? I am about a hundred percent positive that I don't have the same taste in coolness my 50-year old, gay, male, Folkwang-schooled teacher has. Because that would be some weird coincidence. This lovely font, however, is very much me. It's supposed to say "yeah, as my classmate unneccessarily suggested, I've chosen one of the ten Microsoft fonts that happen to be on my laptop and that had the most flourishes because I honestly don't give a fling if this has already been used by a bakery in 1950". Also, it says "I like flourishes", as well as "Alright, so I am trying to become a journalist here, and I actually doubt that I would even want to work for some publisher who doesn't hire me because he's opposed to Microsoft fonts and not because of my ability to write but if you say it is so....I'll probably hire someone to help me. A graphic designer, for instance. Not you, though"

 I can't help it, fonts don't "speak to me". They don't ring a bell in my inner soul, nor do they light any kind of fire, if you catch my drift. Some please my eye, though, and that's usually the reason I use them. Oh, yes, I'm not as insensitive as that I wouldn't be able to see the difference between feminine and male, or frilly and bold, stuff like that. And I appreciate a good design. I'm just not the one doing it. And don't come at me like "oh, but if you want to work in the creative field you need to be passionate about design". I'm a writer. I need to be passionate about words and things words can describe. Design is a whole other language and honey, I'm not fluent. 

My teacher said one valid thing (I guess. I'm not sure. Thinking about it, I have a few questions, but I'll leave it alone for now); that designers have to be able to explain themselves and artists don't. I'd consider myself, or writers, or even journalists, artists rather than designers anytime. I'm sure it could've fueled a big discussion if I'd only stated that yesterday (it's always fun when my class has discussions. You should've seen the rage when we looked at pictures of the Met Gala. I'm surprised no one was hurt).

Even better, if I'd just stomped on the floor with my heels and screamed "I'm not a designer, I don't want to be a designer, I won't ever design things!"

Well, now you know.

Love,

Rosy Smith


You May Also Like

0 Comments