The quest for tight pants (Loveletter to....Skinny jeans)

by - October 06, 2015

My teacher brought up the subject of culottes yesterday. Flared pants in general. You must know about them supposedly making a comeback, even if you're not in fashion school and your teacher is this absolutely cool lady who gossips about celebrities with you because that, in fact, is on the curriculum (or at least kind of). She asked us for our opinion on them, if we think they are a one-season thing or living on through next year's summer - and I had to hold myself back on that one. See, technically I know that they are on trend right now and probably going to survive into SS16: They can look pretty cool on tall women (or paired with some heels), since they show off the waist which serves for the femininity of the look, and they give off that cool, relaxed seventies vibe, kinda as in "I'm a grown woman, I don't need to wear a skirt to look hot and I can run around all day and sit however I want 'cause I'm freaking comfortable in these pants (except that I have to hold my breath at all times after I've had lunch)" In summer, this style is going to work perfectly fine in light fabrics such as linen and silk, being all flowy and airy so that one is able to survive working in business attire even if it's a hundred degrees outside. Also a great thing for everyone who doesn't like to / shouldn't show off their bare legs in a skirt due to whatever reason people have for that (eg. rashes, scratches, a bad tattoo).

But (and here comes my uprofessional but, as always), I'm not gonna hop on on that trend-train (had to work the bad word in here somehow) no matter how fashion and feminism foward it might be. I have left my desire for flare pants back around 2005.

In kindergarden, I desperately wanted to own some, as it was the new thing all the cool kids were wearing those days. I still remember my first two pairs: One of them was known as the "rose pants" (obvously having some roses stitched to their hemline, you can imagine why) and the other one as the "fringe pants" (duh). I still own them, and I treasure them dearly. But I have moved on: After going through all kinds of colors, patterns and styles of flare pants, I saw the future, and the future was tight.
A whole new world of tucking pants into boots, pants not crinkling on the knees, pants not crinkling where they hit the shoe, pants not making me look like a five year old, opened up right in front of me, and there is NO WAY I am going back, ever again. It's probably the fact that I connect flared pants either with me being a three year old or alternatively being eleven and yearning for some skinny jeans so, so badly, that makes them so unattractive to me.
Getting to wear skinny jeans was a key experience on the way to being mature and attractive for me, the ultimate goal of bottomwear and probably something my parents thought I was too young for (please), so I'll faithfully stick to them. And why not? They show off my legs. Why would I want to throw a loose-fitting piece of fabric over them? Somebody in my class suggested, quote "you can wear high heels and nobody sees them" - I really don't care if anybody sees my heels. Most of them are so pretty, people should definitely see them, they're expensive enough.

As you may gather, lovelies, due to childhood experiences as well as a need to enhance my features wherever I can, just because I can, I'll continue to fight for my beloved skinnies forever.
Everything, from a blouse over a crop top to a wide sweater, from a sandal over a ballet flat to a knee-high, looks good with skinnies. You've made my life so much chicer, even on comfortable days. If that's not a word, it should be.

Love,

Rosy Smith




You May Also Like

0 Comments