A non-lost weekend for a change....

by - July 18, 2016

....Just to get you placed, I'm done with finals (apart from some kind of summer writing thing we'll ignore for now) and need to regenerate by squeezing as many exciting things as possible into the next two months! Today I was supposed to meet one of my bestest friends in the city and be all fabulous together, but she has a toothache, poor thing, so I won't start on the excitement as soon as calculated, but I'll be fine. Here's the plan so far:

I'm honestly considering cleaning my room. 
You have no idea of the cluttering mess that my room has magically turned into during this semester. It's so bad that even I have detected the irritation factor it has and that says something. It's not dirty - let's just say there's a lot of stuff on the floor that originally had a place somewhere else, like in a cupboard, or in folders, or in an entirely different room. My parents are off to Spain for my mom's birthday (which is today! Congrats, mommy!) and I remember saying something like "Everything will be tidy when I'm done with school", so, well, trapped myself there. But it's all good! I always feel -

Oh, my friend called - we'll do a cozy night in instead of girl's out and about. I'll be back.

It's the next day now, and I have decided to make brownies today, for several reasons. One of them is that I always wanted to be that kind of person who'll just get up and make a batch of brownies. I just looked up recipes, though, 'cause I'm not yet that kind of person who knows her brownie recipe by heart, and what came out of that is that I think I'll get a baking mix to spare myself some trouble.

When I clacked past the cheese bar, everyone looked up to see me stopping dead in my tracks to make a u-turn wondering where the hell they've hidden the instant mix boxes, because weirdly enough, I was the only girl under 43 strolling the baking section first thing on a Saturday morning in floral kitten heels, a sky-blue ruffled skirt and an oversized Calvin Klein promo T-Shirt.

Standing in a supermarket full of food and checking out Dr.Oetker's Fine Brownies for 2.99 as my only item actually pretty accurately describes me making life choices.
You know, keeps more money left for shoes.

Baking tip: Don't try to be extra savy and slowly add all ingredients one by one to have them melt together gradually. Just throw everything in at once. This way, you won't forget the eggs and therefore won't have to try really hard with the egg whip (a name that makes so much sense now) and doubt your (already minimal) arm strength and you also won't need to search the kitchen for the mixer, set it up and get it dirty. Furthermore, there won't be an occasion for you to clean the egg whip by stabbing it with a knife and getting that dirty, too.

Life tip: When there's no food in the house you're able to turn into an edible meal (except for brownies), order chinese. I know someone who's never ordered chinese. Can you believe that? I'll make him do it because we're commiting now and sharing my love for chinese at home is basically a commitment requirement for me.

He likes my brownies, though, and that's sweet, too.
The ones I said I baked. Get over yourself.

Since I'm going on vacation in a week I don't dare to wear any of my summer clothes fearing I might need them to be freshly washed and ironed (like I take EVERYTHING I own on a week-long trip. But you never know what you might decide to bring the day before flying). However, it is very summery over here as well so I dugged around in my closet and found a long wrap-around skirt I never wore before and paired it with a lacy top and my beloved strappy sandals. Heeled shoes might not be everyone's first choice for a walk and a picnic outside but hello, I can't wear a long skirt with flats or I'll look like a dwarf, and my company is pretty damn tall, too, so we'll just have to disregard pragmatism like we always do when it comes to fashion. What else would be the point?

The rest of the weekend went with cake for breakfast (once I polished off all the brownies I needed to fulfill my desire for baked things otherwise) and some midday sleeping - I don't particularly like to do that because I desperately want to relish every second of summer, but sometimes I just....kinda lie in bed and.....next thing I know I feel like it's 3 in the morning and I didn't just have lunch and watched four episodes of 2 Broke Girls. Anyways, there's still enough time to get ready for evening engagements - and by the time they come around, I'll be fresh as a daisy again.

I truly am now.

Love,

Rosy Smith














You May Also Like

0 Comments